Monday, January 19, 2009

The pink city

For those non-Indian people reading this that would be Jaipur that I am speaking of. Shawn and I had to get up at 5:00 (yes you read that correctly) 5 this morning to get to the train that took us to Jaipur. Needless to say, I went right back to sleep once we got on the train and didn't wake up till we were almost there. The train was late (on don't know how that happened considering it is on a track) and so by the time we got to our hotel and had some lunch it was 2:00 (oh and Shawn took a half hour stroll to find an atm that was supposed to take five minutes and I almost that I was going to have to call the police and report a missing persons report). Shawn needed to do some house cleaning today with his job ( and seeing as he has been here before) I took off to see the city (yes by myself). I went to the city palace (very nice) where the ruler and one time had the idea for the pink city (and yes it really is pink). Then I went to the water palace, which is out on this lake, a very beautiful site. Now this is where the trip goes downhill. The rickshaw I took saw me coming from a mile away becuase I find myself in a textile factory (along with about ten other white people) being sold fabric at dicount prices and being asked if I want a suit or carpets or bed shams (the list goes on). Excusing myself ever so politely, I finally get back to the hotel and end up spending the most we have spent on a cad ride yet (which is still really cheap if you think in dollars). Today I find out what would happen to me if Shawn wasn't with me (thanks lucky stars and worries about the two days alone in Delhi). Tomorrow more fun and adventures await.

Picture count: 918 (travel day).

No comments: