Monday, January 5, 2009

Escaping bath

The best laid plans...I get to the bus station this morning ready to go to Straford-on-Avon (of which I remembered passing on the train on the way to Bath) only to realize that the city I had seen was Bradford-on-Avon (not Stratford), which is a long way up north (and by long way I mean Britain long way not US long way) so that plan was scratched. Luckily, I had planed to go there and come back in one day, so I got my hostel for one more night, and the other good thing was that before I found Stratford (Bradford) I had planed another day in Bath out, so that is what I did. I went to Victoria and Prior parks (England loves its parks, seeing as they are everywhere you go) and found a nie frozen pond to throw stones in. The snow fairy did come last night (only a slight dusting) and much of the parks lay in a light blanket (also to be noted that I got snowed on twice today, only lightly, but one snow flake did fall into my eye which is really cold I found out). Next I went to the Bath Abbey and climed to the top of thier steeple, which offered a nice view of all of Bath. Plus went into their museum and found that thier was a real skeleton down their that was a relic from the previous Saxon church that once stood where the Abbey is now (skeletons are freaky!). But the big find of today was the manga Bible (manga is Japanese comic for those of you who don't know) I of course had to buy this great book and am reading it now (pictures are great) I know you all want to borrow it when I get back but be careful with it I know it is going to be priceless soon. Following this was the Jane Austen center (kind of a bore to be truthful) followed by abother round in the Circus to try and see Mr. Cage (with no luck, noooooo!). I got to see where Jane Austen lived when she was in Bath and then wondered aournd Bath (which is quit beautiful in its own right) before having dinner and heading back to the hostel (which I don't think I have mentioned is an Itallian style mansion, oh the hostels in Britain). On a separate note, the micro fiber towel and underwear are amazing, best purchases for sure!
Some lesser known nuances of travel:
-waking up and not knowing where you are going to be staying that night
-washing your socks and underwear while you shower knowing that if you don't you wont have any to where the next day
-walking everywhere and enjoying it
-using trains
-sharing dorm rooms with 20 other people
-having to pay for water in a resturaunt
-paying to use the internet and seeing a sign that says "free WiFi" and being excited only to realize you don't have your laptop
-meeting strange and wonderful people

Picture count: 500

No comments: