Thursday, January 22, 2009

Life's a beach

Mornings in which you know the day will be spent on the beach enjoying the sun always start slow and end fast. True to the word of yesterday Shawn and I got a scooter to ride around on for today and tomorrow. Shawn immediately told me that it would be my job to navigate it (yes the dyslexic one) in a country that drives on the other (wrong) side of the road (Brits!). Needless to say, there were a few mishaps at the begining of the adventure, but no crashes thank goodness. We needed to get some petrol, as the scooter was on empty, and Shawn and I finally found someone to show us where to get some (as gas stations are few and far between and you buy gas from households who sell it out of liter bottles that once contained water). I go zooming off with the guy to get gas and Shawn stays behind (thankfully I put some money in my swimsuit pocket or else I would have had none), but when we got back a few minutes later Shawn was gone. Some minutes later (after a near crash on my part) I find Shawn and we go off to another part of Goa, less crowded (but later we find full of hippies). Once you get used to driving on the other side of the road, it is not bad and it almost becomes like a ride at Disneyland or a videogame only a gameover is death (haha). Got to the beach and it was beatuful. Swam around, drank some coconuts, had a margarita, and got hasseled by all the people trying to sell things. After some lunch it was back to the hotel and then off to the local fort. As Europe is with Cathedrals so is India with forts and palaces. The fort was nothing special, but the views of Goa and the bay were spectacular. Following this was another trip down to the beach by our hotel to watch the sunset and drink a couple of beers. I also got a crab dinner for $5 (just to rub it in). Tonight we are going to go look for some young people as Goa so far has been a little on the grey side (if you know what I mean) it's like Flordia here. Tomorrow some of Shawn's friends come from Bombay and the partying begins.

Picture count: 996 (it was a beach of a day)

No comments: