Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The gift of gab

Today I went to Blarney to see the castle that is there. According to the Ireland lonely planet, this is one of the biggest attractions in Ireland (on discovery channel's 99 things to do before you die list) and you need a stick to beat people away from the Blarney stone to get a chance to kiss it (this must not be referring to winter time). I basically had the castle to myself (with the exception of the couple of other crazy people out for a nice winter stroll) but it was nice to be in a place like that quit alone. So what is the Blarney stone? It is a stone at the top of the castle that if you lean over and kiss it it is supposed to grant you the gift of eloquence (or gift of gab) that you can speak well, but there is a difference between blarney and baloney and which I can tell you of later. Since I am alone, there was no one to take a picture of me kissing the stone, so I had to do the ultra touristy thing and buy the one they take for you (I know lame), but I really wanted proof and with that I believe that I now have the GofG to use as I see fit. Other then the castle there is a side garden that has the witch's stone and wishing steps along with a sort of out of place waterfall. I spent the rest of the day wondering around the grounds that have a house (the Blarney house), a lake, a fern garden (you have never seen them this big), and a horse graveyard (yeah creepy, thats what I thought). Planning on going to some more pubs tonight and then a tour of Cork the city tomorrow, which includes a brewery tour (I knew there was a reason for coming to Cork).

Picture count: 575 (Blarney the rugged shark, that is a rugged man reference)

No comments: