Friday, December 5, 2008

Kid in a candy store

As the title might suggest, this is how I feel when I start to plan for a trip. Often I find the list of things that I want to see way outnumbers the amount of days I have in a country or a given city. With that said, I finally stopped slacking off and opened the bible (which was quite dusty by now) and started to look at maps of London and where I am going to be staying. Incidentally, the hostel I am staying at is in Notting Hill (yes like the Julia Roberts/Hugh Grant film, no I cannot see the blue door as it was sold in auction a couple years ago, yes I do plan on running into Julia Roberts and falling madly in love). My flight arrives at Heathrow Airport at 11am, meaning that I will have been up for more then twenty-four hours by the time I get there (knowing that I am not going to be able to sleep on the plane, I'm no Joanna, who incidentally was asked by a flight attendant on our way back from Germany what medication she had taken because the flight attendant had never seen somebody sleep so soundly...Joanna hadn't taken any sleeping aid. Take from that what you will) follow this link (http://barmybadger.com/Frames/Map.jpg) to behold a map of the underground and you can see I am going to have to take the Piccadilly (hahaha) line up to the Central line and then off to Notting Hill Gate stop, hopefully I pack lightly because that is a lot of stops on a train, though it will be the middle of the day (back off pickpockets). So I'm going to drop my bags off at the hostel, no I am not going to say which one (who knows who wants to stalk to me) and then go exploring around Notting Hill, yes going to the gardens in Notting Hill (helpless romantic, shout out to Mac the romantic comedy whore). Besides Notting Hill, I am right next to Holland Park, Kensington Garden, and Hyde Park, so I guess lots of lounging in gardens (seeing as I’m not freezing). Anyway, that is the plan for the first day, lots of walking to stretch my legs after the flight and trying to stifle the jet lag. I know that this is a coup out, I have not really laid any solid plans down, but don’t worry, there is more to come and believe it or not I think I have most of day two planed out. More to follow.


To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world – Freya Stark

No comments: