Sunday, December 7, 2008

The journey continues

In trying to keep up with my productivity I have planned out the second day of my trip! This among going to a Cal game (yeah we won) and hanging out with Tal (more work then it sounds). After a free breakfast at my hostel (oh yeah), I am off to the Charing Cross station (see previous post for link to underground map), which should drop me off at Trafalgar square (this is also where I will be on New Year's Eve, in what state I don't know) where you can get to the national gallery and the national portrait gallery (yes these are two different museums). I think I am going to go to both, but just do the five minute tour, so to speak, but even then it is going to take a couple hours to get through the over 10,000 portraits they have in the, you guessed it, portrait gallery. From here, maybe to the Churchill museum, seeing as I am a WWII buff (in my own mind), but this is if I have time and am not brain-dead from the already hectic museum schedule (I needn’t mention, but shall, that my mom, sister, and I did the Natural history museum, Guggenheim, and the Met all in one day, yes impressive). From here, the Whitewall walking tour, along the way is Westminster abbey and the parliament building, which is where Big Ben is for those not in the know. Around this area is also Westminster Cathedral, those who know me know that I am a cathedral/temple nut, which means that I will most likely pop on over to this. Other then that I want to leave day two kind of open seeing as there will still be some lovely jet lag slowing me down. As far as grub goes there is a popular pub close to the end of the day, the Red Lion, a cool 19th century pub feel, and who doesn’t like a nice pub. Slowly chiseling away at the behemoth that is this trip, no wonder I usually travel with friends that are organized.


A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it. –John Steinbeck


No comments: