Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Getting Ready

Though I have gotten lonely planet books (or the bible, as we call them now) for Ireland and England, I have been quit lazy about getting around to reading them and planning my trip out. Seeing as this is the first time I will be traveling alone, I don't think the fact that the onus is on me to get everything down has hit yet, though I still have a little under a month to get this done. The list for today is a microfiber towel, something I picked up on when in Brazil. For those of you not in the know, a microfiber towel absorbs up to eight times its weight in liquid, yet 90% of the liquid can be easily wrung out to speed drying time, kind of like a shammy except not for cars. This is very useful for hostel traveling, seeing as many (and by many I mean most hostels) do not have towels for customers to use. So when you’re packing up and going to a new location every couple of days, it doesn’t help to have a sopping wet towel in your bag getting all your cloths wet. Plus you want a dry towel every time you take a shower, seeing as most of the showers in Brazil were cold ones (much what I would expect a torture sessions would include. You don’t know what its like to get in a shower and realize there is only one knob for both hot a cold and what you get is what you get, oh and there is a window cut into the wall with no covering, yeah, there was shrinkage). The second item is a mini electric razor. I forgot to bring any razor to Brazil and had to borrow Mac's, which I can assure you was a lot of fun, the whole time. This time around I think I am getting older and lazier because I just want to be able to run a razor over my face for a couple of minutes and then be done. Though for those that know me know that I do not have that much of a beard anyway so this is not an important purchase, simply one of convenience. I am trying to get in touch with a friend of a friend that lives in Ireland so that I can either, bum a place to stay for a couple of days, or at least have a local to show me around and have a couple of pints with. Anyway, I’m going to try and start posting my itinerary and junk in the next couple of days, but we will have to see how that goes.


Let the road be your doorstep - Nathaniel Chaney

No comments: