Monday, December 29, 2008

Fighting the cold

You know it is bad when your flight lands and the pilot says that the temp outside is 1 degree C (that just sounds bad). With that said it is cold here, but I am doing an ok job of fighting it off (hence the title, I'm sure you figured that out). But one of the purchases today (although quit late on my part) was a scarff though it was cheap becuase of all the after Christmas sales (even for London). Got up at 1:20 this morning, becuase I looked at my alarm and thought it was 7, after getting dressed I looked at my watch and realized it was 1:30 in the morning and got back into bed. Six hours later I got up and enjoyed my free breakfast of sausage, eggs, porage, and yougurt (best part of waking up). After that it was time to start the day, got a tube pass, so now I can go anywhere in zones 1 & 2 (YEAH!) which makes my life so much easier. Went to Trafalgar square, the national and portait meusums (which did take some time to get through, but I have now seen Van Gogh's sunflowers). Following this was a walking tour of Whitewall, which ends at the parliement building (that's the one with Big Ben for those not in the know). The way I came to see Big Ben was by accident (much like the Pub I went to last night, Churchill Arms is listed in the lonely planet as one of the best Pubs in my area and I found it compeltely on accident) as I saw people taking pictures and wondered why there was so many of them only to turn around and there was the big guy himself. After many pictures (a count will follow) I went to get in line for Westminster abbey (ok totally forgot that other people might want to see stuff like this and ended up waiting for an hour to get in, which the seruity guard I chatted up said was crazy as there usually is no line at all). Waiting in line for this, was when the cold really got to me, standing in the freezing (standing) does not help, its not too bad when your moving around though. So Westminster is amazing! That was the highlight of today and I can only say it is riveled only by Notre Dame (though don't tell the Brits that) in beauty. Go google it and look at the pictures, very nice. Off to the marble arch and then a jaunt through Hyde Park, where I (once again by luck) stumbeled onto Wonderland. An temperary amusment park/winter fair set up in Hyde Park. Got some German Wine (yes Mac be jealous) and then headed off to Baywater to a Pub (one that the cougar told me of, see last post). But after walking around for like ten minutes trying to find it I gave up becuase of the cold and found a Pub that said it had the best fish & chips in London for super cheap. Well I don't know if they were the best, but for the price they could not be beat and with a nice stout, I was much full. Time to plan for the next day, lots to do.

Picture count: 78 (slow for me, but I'm warming up)

P.S. If the spelling is bad it is becuase I do not have spell check and have little time on the computer so time is of the essance, but I try where I can.

No comments: